Sunday, November 17, 2013

Daily Tidbits 11/17/13



"The most important thing is to read as much as you can, like I did. It will give you an understanding of what makes good writing and it will enlarge your vocabulary." - J. K. Rowling

Have you read any good books here lately? I am currently reading Antigoddess by Kendare Blake. So far, the tale is fantastic. I'm always a sucker for a modern twist on ancient mythology. Ms. Blake does an excellent job of executing a modern twist on the Greek Pantheon. 

One thing that I have noticed about Antigoddess is that the writing is pretty decent. I have to be honest and admit that I have kind of grown tired of reading new releases. It never fails, I'll find a new release in which the synopsis sounds intriguing, but when I go to read it, I find the writing leaves more to be desired. As of late, I've been reverting back to reading old works from my favorite authors because modern writing has left me depressed. Thankfully, Antigoddess is a new release that has proven otherwise. 

I won't go into further detail on Antigoddess, because I do intend to write a book review on it once I have finished reading it. But I will say that the writing is vivid, the scenery and imagination are present, and the plot was thoroughly fleshed out. 

This leads me back to the quote by Ms. Rowling. In order to be a writer, you must be an avid reader. In fact, you should read more than you write. Why is this? The only way you're going to understand how to create a novel (or blog post, or magazine article, or whatever it is that you write) is through experience. You have to read novels in order to know how to write one. 

A writer who is not also an avid reader is nothing more than a babbling monkey with a pen. 

No comments: